Atlas Roofing Celebrates 40 Years of Unparalleled Quality, Innovation
Atlas Ushers in Its 40th Year With a New Look and a Truck GiveawayAmy R. Connolly, Writer
When Atlas Roofing opened its doors in 1982, the world was a much different place — Ronald Reagan was president, the average new car went for about $9,500 and the median price for a new-construction home was roughly $70,000.
While so much has changed in 40 years, one thing remains constant: Atlas Roofing’s dedication to quality and product innovation. Atlas started with a single plant and a handful of employees manufacturing asphalt shingles and roll roofing in Meridian, MS. Today, Atlas has proven to be a powerful force in the building materials industry. The company boasts 36 locations in North America that manufacture and distribute premium quality shingles, insulation, underlayment and so much more.
As Atlas marks its 40th anniversary in 2022, the company celebrates its past and looks to the future. Atlas Vice President of Sales and Marketing Stan Bastek said the commemoration is as much a testament to Atlas Roofing’s products as it is to the hardworking people who manufacture and install them.
“For four decades, Atlas Roofing has distinguished itself by addressing the evolving needs of the building and construction sector with products that raise the bar in the industry. We want to thank all of our customers, employees and partners who made our anniversary milestone possible,” Bastek said. “Today, it’s just as important that we look to the next 40 years and beyond to plan for what’s to come. Atlas remains committed to developing transformational products and solutions that will continue to evolve and shape the building materials industry.”
Atlas Roofing: Watch Us Grow
Shortly after the company launched, it began growing and expanding. Atlas acquired and built manufacturing and distribution facilities in the United States, Canada and Mexico. The expansions allowed the company to stay ahead of the curve in the research, development and manufacturing of new products, including:
- Polyiso roof insulation, including ACFOAM®-III (1996), the first polyiso roof insulation panel laminated with coated glass facers (CGF) and ACUltra® Technology (1998), the country’s first Chlorofluorocarbon (CFC)- and Hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC)-free polyiso insulation product.
- Wall insulation, such as the EnergyShield® family of continuous wall insulation, ThermalStar® and Stucco-Shield® products.
- Roof shingle technology, including HP high-performance oversized shingles (2010), shingles featuring Scotchgard™ Protector (2011), Briarwood Pro™ designer shingles (2016), Core4™enhanced polymer technology (2019) and the StormMaster® (Shake and Slate), Pinnacle® Pristine and ProLam™ lines, among others.
- Roof underlayment, such as Summit® synthetic underlayment, which is one of the industry’s first high-performance, walkable, long-term exposure roofing underlayments.
- Molded polystyrene products, including DuraTherm® cold chain packaging, Atlas Geofoam lightweight fill, protective packaging, engineered components and lost foam patterns.
- Atlas Web Technologies (Atlas WebTech®), including coated fiberglass facers, 100% recycled facers and 100% recycled specialty paper products. In 2007, WebTech® became the world’s largest manufacturer of coated glass facers for the building materials industry.
- Other industry advancements such as low-slope roof drainage options (Gemini™ Cricket (1998), Gemini™ drain sets (2004), Gemini™ Miter (2007), ACFOAM®-IV and the SureSlope™ family of products) and ventilation products (TruRidge® and HighPoint® roof ventilation products.)
Over the years, Atlas has also received numerous accolades and awards, including a No.1 ranking from the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) for StormMaster® Shake shingle hail resistance and the Stratospheric Ozone Protection Award (2019) from the U.S. Department of Environmental Protection (EPA) for technical leadership in hydrocarbon alternative to CFCs.
The Future’s So Bright…
As Atlas Roofing celebrates its anniversary throughout 2022, the company kicked off the new year with some exciting things, including:
- Updated brand identity | The new logo, corporate tagline, mission, vision and value statements further solidify the company as an industry leader.
- International Roofing Expo (IRE) in New Orleans, Feb. 1-3, 2022 | Atlas Roofing's booth (1537) was a 1980s-themed ski lodge called The Atlas Lodge, complete with retro video games, ’80s décor, booth attendants in ’80s fashions and some of Atlas’s newest products on display.
- Asphalt Life truck giveaway | A fully restored 1982 Chevy Silverado pickup made its debut at IRE, kicking off a year-long truck giveaway promotion. Throughout 2022, contractors will have opportunities to earn points, toward the truck giveaway, for the final drawing at IRE 2023 in Dallas.
A Tribute to Our Beginning
In addition, Atlas donated nearly $40,000 to Belinda Harvey, a resident of Meridian, MS, and designer of the roofing manufacturer’s first logo in 1982. That year, Harvey won the Atlas Roofing logo design contest, for which she received a $200 savings bond.
In recognition of Harvey’s historic work, the Atlas marketing team concocted an idea to give back to her by challenging employees to donate $40 each for the 40th anniversary celebration in 2022.
Part of a company-wide email stated, “Because her life has been of service to others, we have the opportunity to give back to the woman who helped give us our most visible symbol.” With the help of the company itself, Atlas leadership pledged to match employee contributions 150% over what was raised.
On May 12, 2022, thanks to 166 employees who donated more than $15,000 in only five days, Harvey received a check for $37,687.50, which was personally presented by Ron Fredin, former president of Atlas Roofing; Warren Hood, chairman and CEO of Atlas Roofing’s parent company, Hood Companies Inc.; and Ken Farrish, current president of Atlas Roofing. (See photo above.)
In addition to the financial gift, the manufacturer is also donating materials from its Meridian plant, partnering with a local contractor to give Harvey a new roof.
About Atlas® Roofing Corporation
Atlas® is an innovative, customer-oriented provider of asphalt shingles, roof underlayments, rigid expanded polystyrene and polyiso insulation, geofoam, cold chain, protective packaging, lost foam, and cutting-edge coated and paper facers and underlayments for a diverse set of markets. Atlas has grown from a single asphalt shingle manufacturing facility to 36 facilities in North America with worldwide product distribution. Products from the company's four major divisions, Polyiso Roof & Wall Insulation, Shingle & Underlayment, Molded Products, and Web Technologies, are manufactured in state-of-the-art facilities and shipped from its network of manufacturing plants and distribution facilities in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
For more information about Atlas Roofing Corporation, please visit www.atlas-arc.com.